Mummies for Teachers
Mummies and the Afterlife
Lesson Plan, Classroom Activities, Games
Time frame: 2 class periods (55 minutes each)
Magazine article and/or information printed from the Internet about mummification. See links at the end of this lesson for suggestions.
Class Activity: Hand out Mummies or How to Live Forever
- Answer questions
- Discuss answers. Review what ancient Egyptians believed about the afterlife.
- Hand out magazine articles and/or printout available online about mummification to each group. Read the magazine article or printout. Have them read the section on mummification in their textbook.
- Compare to the original hand out Mummies or How to Live Forever.
- Work in groups to identify the procedure used by the Egyptians to mummify a body. Handout Mummification Sequence for Kids
- If you can use the internet, play some Mummy games
- Compare the different sources of information and evaluate the material. Share your group findings with the class.
- Write a short eulogy for your choice of "deceased" ancient Egyptian. The person may be a woman or a man, a pharaoh, a royal, or a peasant.
- Give details about your relationship to that person
- How would the "deceased" like to be remembered
For more information on mummification, there are some wonderful sites online. Here are two of our favorites:
Embalming & Wrapping & Burial http://www.ancientegypt.co.uk/mummies/story/main.html
Egyptian mummies (Smithsonian) http://www.si.edu/resource/faq/nmnh/mummies.htm